I have been using the signs as a buffer in my attic. Here in Florida, the heat generated through the roof causes the attic to get hot quickly. Most sings are 24 inches wide and are the perfect size for stapling to the roof trusses. When attached from the soffet at the bottom roof line up to the ridge vent at the top, excess heat is channeled directly out the top, keeping the attic about 20 degrees cooler in the summer. My powered attic fan barely runs as compared to prior to the sign installaton. In addition, everyone gets a big laugh when they see the 'attic art'.
#4. "RE: Captured signs as insulation" In response to Reply # 0
The corrugated plastic probably poses a danger in case of fire. It is flammable and the fumes are probably quite unhealthy.
I recall someone was promoting use of corrugated plastic as a buildingh material following natural disasters as well as in other circumstances. He had trouble getting others interested and one of the reasons was flammability.
There is probably a OSHA or similar type data sheet that would have the details of testing.
#7. "RE: Captured signs as insulation" In response to Reply # 6
1 All fires produce toxic gases. 2 Firemen wear respirators to protect them from toxic gas. 3 Fires create heat; hot gases rise; thus, unless you get above the fire, your exposure will be minimal. 4 Since the theoretical fire is burning the plastic attached to the roof, we can then assume that the roof is also on fire. 5 Shingles, wood and tar paper burn nicely, and I believe that if that were the case, I would have bigger worries than toxic fumes from signs. 6 I store stuff in my attic; plastic coolers, luggage, kids toys and stuffed animals, Chrismas crap etc.. Must I now remove any items that release toxic fumes when they burn? 7 What are the odds that my house will catch on fire and that someone will die or be injured due to only the toxic fumes of plastic signs and no other cause?
If you don't like the idea, don't do it. But to sit back and pontificate about the dangers of one extreme cicumstance based solely upon conjecture shows me that your opinions are best kept to yourself.
#8. "RE: Captured signs as insulation" In response to Reply # 7 Sat Jan-19-08 07:56 AM by Tomato Stake
Since I am a Hazardous Materials and Response trainer in my industry for responders under the HAZWOPER OSHA regulations, and I design and build industrial buildings for a living, I find your tomatos comment disingenuous.
The combustion products of plastics release vapor and gases that are poisonous, not merely toxic. (Almost everything is toxic in quantity.) When the gases are breathed by others not in SCBA gear, they are exposed to it. (Ever smell a fire, even though you are not near it or considered in danger?) I would hope that by the time the fire is going, you and your family would have gotten out because of a fire alarm. (You do have confidence in your fire detectors, no?) Since these gases are produced (including Carbon Monoxide) at the beginning of the fire when no one senses it, I hope you have some warning and escape.
Although some coroplast is Polyethylene, others are PVC and other thermosets. You cannot make any statement that the vapor generated by combustion is safe to breathe in any quantity since plastics degrade to cyanides, Carbon Monoxide, Carbon Dioxide, dioxins, and other acrid black soots. None of which are healthy in any manner.
Further, Burning polyethylenes and other plastics are very hard to extinguish once under fire. They burn hot and above what other organic (wood, paper, felt) building materials. This will cause widespread and faster conflagration of the structure, risking the lives of those who are trying to put out your little house fire. They do not expect you to be using a building material, which is prohitibited under all building codes, for insulation. You will have a quickly propagating fire, with mixed toxic combustion products, in which the plastic will melt and fall onto who/whatever is under it.
Do be sure to inform your insurance company of this material used in the construction of your home?
I innocently placed a small coroplast sign in my fireplace one day. It was as if I placed gasoline on a burning fire. I was near having to use a fire exiguisher on it as it was incredibly hot and threatened to overcome the flue.
Life is more than growing tomatoes in your garden....a hobby I enjoy. One needs to build a home and maintain it in a life-safety-acceptable manner. This is why we have building codes. Using plastic corrugated boards as insulation or unapproved building material, is against the building codes and just plain wrong. It's also extremely hazardous to those charged with protection of life and property in our fire departments, as well as those downwind of the fire.
But, people do stupid things daily, often which result in catastrophic health problems for others, not just themselves. I sincerely hope that no one ever has to contend with your use of this material in a manner for which it was never intended.
Oh, there's a hint of cool in the air, and Winter is coming! I've got to gather more firewood... And Sign stakes make great fire starters!
#9. "RE: Captured signs as insulation" In response to Reply # 7
<<based solely upon conjecture shows me that your opinions are best kept to yourself.>>
I was thinking your comments were based solely upon conjecture. I have not talked to any professionals, so conjecture and opinion is all I have. I was thinking CAUSS is about like-minded people getting together to openly share ideas and opinions even if based upon conjecture.
This could be a very serious situation for life, property, and financial ruin.
The opinions of a renowned fire fighting organization would be a consideration for me. If I have questions concerning human life, it would seem fitting for me to consult them. Maybe these signs are already on the approved building materials list like radiant barrier.
I also wonder what my insurance company would think. There may be a “fine print” clause in my contract concerning approved building materials.