"Rash of We Buy Junk Cars - heads up!" Sat Jul-04-09 05:19 PM by DenverShark
Over the past month or two, there have been a rash of We Buy Junk Cars in Denver. Specifically, the signs appear on wooden telephone poles, about 9' high. There are three types: coroplast, masonite, and 5/8" particle board.
All signs are by the same illegal spammer and have the same number.
The masonite and particle board signs can be easily dealt with with standard sharky stick (electrical pipe - see the tools section).
It is reported that the signs are on standard routes - if you see one, drive a mile and you'll find more.
The signs target low-income neighborhoods in Denver and west Aurora with wooden telephone poles. The signs can be found along major feeder streets, as well as throughout the neighborhoods that these streets access. The key is to follow the route. Sort of like following breadcrumbs.
This spammer has been a problem for a few years. But it looks like people are really cracking down on his illegal eyesores ... so a little extra effort on your part will really help!
#1. "RE: Rash of We Buy Junk Cars - heads up!" In response to Reply # 0
We have had the same type of street spam in Charlotte NC, off and on over years. One time I reported a unusually large number of "we buy junk car" signs to CE. They set up a police sting, called the spammer and arranged to meet him. Upon his arrival, the spammer was arrested for no plates on his tow truck, no driving license, and of course the original complaint, the street spam which got him $9,000 in fines.
#7. "RE: Rash of We Buy Junk Cars - any new spottings?" In response to Reply # 0
Any new spottings of the We Buy Junk Cars signs? I got a call saying there were a bunch along SE Quebec between Hamden and 6th Ave - painted signs on 2x3' 1/2" plywood that were nailed to telephone poles. He seems to like that SE area, but also plasters them all over Denver.
Also Iliff in that area and Clinton between Iliff and Mississippi.
I was told that a sharky stick removed them very quickly.
It looks like the illegal spammer has set routes, and Quebec is one of them.
#11. "RE: Here's where they are: We Buy Junk Cars - heads up!" In response to Reply # 0
AuroraWatcher provided more information on the We Buy Junk Cars illegal signs. This information is combined with information from others below to reveal the routes that this spammer uses. First, here is the spammer's standard route along I70. The spammer hits this route at least once every week.
* Persistent spamming: From I70, take the Washington exit a mile or so east of I25. Go north on Washington for a mile. Signs are on telephone poles and are left leaning against stop light posts at the I70 exit.
Sometimes this guy will go north on Washington to 88th. Then right on 88th to Welby Rd / York st or on to I76 and back. Keep an eye out on 88th.
* Persistent spamming: From I70, take the Colorado Blvd exit and go south half a mile. Check the light poles. Then go back north on Colorado and take the service road just before I70 - this is the Dahlia service road. Take the road to Monaco. Check the telephone poles.
Then go north on Monaco under I70. Go back west on the service road parallel to I70. Continue this loop back to Dahlia.
Then go south again on Dahlia to Smith Road. Go east on Smith Road to Monaco or Quebec.
* Very persistent spamming: From I70, take the Havana exit. Go north for two miles to 56th Ave. If you see signs on telephone poles, continue on 56th Ave to Chambers, then back to I70.
Back at I70 and the Havana exit, go south to Smith road. Go south a quarter mile past the jail, checking telephone poles. Then go back to Smith road to Peoria. Then go south on Peoria a half mile, then back on Peoria to I70. Check all the telephone poles.
That completes this loop.
* Periodic spamming: South of I70 on Colorado Blvd, down to 23rd Ave, there are low-income neighborhoods on either side, from Downing to past Monaco. The spammer drives the main feeder streets like Monaco, 23rd, 31st, 40th streets putting up signs. You can drive these streets and look down side streets for the signs.
* Former persistent spamming - mostly under control. Ok, now we're moving to SE Denver. From I25 or I225, go to NW Parker Road. Keep going past Havana/Hamden. At Dalhia, go north to Mississippi. Turn around and go back to Parker, checking the telephone poles.
Then go NW on Parker to Quebec. Go north on Quebec to Mississippi. Then go back south on Quebec. Continue a half mile south of Iliff, then go back to Ilifff. Then go east on Iliff back to Parker.
That completes this loop.
* Periodic spamming: Colfax between Colorado and Quebec.
* Periodic spamming: Take I25 to the Alameda Exit. Go north to Alameda. Turn west on Alameda and go 1/4 mile west of I25. Then go back and loop around Santa Fe and Kalamath between Alameda and 8th Ave.
Then go to 6th Ave and go west. Take the Lowell service road exit. Take the service road along 6th Ave to Sheridan. Check all of the telephone poles along the service road.
That completes this loop.
It appears that the spammer has fixed routes. He also tries new routes occasionally, especially when his signs get removed.
Please help remove these illegal signs. Take your sharky stick (6-8' of heavy guage electrical pipe). Thanks, folks for your efforts!
#24. "RE: Rash of We Buy Junk Cars - heads up! - November 2010" In response to Reply # 0 Mon Nov-08-10 11:43 AM by DenverShark
Looks like we need to keep removing/painting those junk cars signs. Please help!
Reports from sharks and CE officers say that the spammer is following his usual routes. When he finds his wooden signs painted over, he will put up only one in the area in hopes that spammers will see the painted signs and move on.
Don't move on! Follow this idiot's routes and get 'em all! See a post made a few months ago in this thread for the routes.
He hits each of his routes about once every few weeks. He'll do one route at least each week. Follow the bus routes!
Update... having found that his illegal signs don't last very long on his traditional routes, he peppered Littleton/Lakewood with signs a month or two ago. That includes:
- Sheridan, north of Hamden, and some side streets. - Lowell, Pierce and First streets, between Federal and Sheridan. Then up across 6th ave to the poor neighborhood there. - Jewell and Missippi from Kipling to Wadsworth. - Bus routes at 10th and 14th from Kipling to Sheridan, north of 6th.
Oh, yeah - Denver said they got one on Colfax about a mile east of Colorado.